Down Under Walkabout

The adventures of life and travel in Australia & New Zealand. And now Europe.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Surfs Up



I have been at Surf Camp for the last week. It was awesome! We were at 7 Mile Beach, about 2 hours south of Sydney. We surfed about 4 hours each day. I have a new appreciation for surfers and for the word wipeout. Water is very powerful and can really push you around. There were a few times that I was under water for what seemed like forever, and I was rolling around not knowing which way was up. But most of the time was spent riding the waves in. Actually a lot of time was spent getting out to the waves. That takes a lot of work. It is kind of like eating crawfish- lots of work, but it sure is worth it.

We had waves up to 8 feet high one day. That means from the top of the water to the top of the wave is 8 feet. When I tried those waves is when I experienced the major wipeouts. If I just waited for the wave to break and then catch it, it was more manageable but still very powerful.


1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

18 countries i visited 8% or s