Down Under Walkabout

The adventures of life and travel in Australia & New Zealand. And now Europe.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Offensive cartoons

Today I spoke with some Muslims who were promoting their student organization. They were having a seminar to explain why the Muslim people are offended by the publication of a comic strip which shows Muhammad. A Dutch writer has been drawing the comics and it has been published in several (or maybe lots) of magazines including some in Australia. Some Muslims have been extremely offended and attacked the embassies of the Dutch and Netherlands. A few Australian magazines have decided not to publish the comic strip in fear that their may be attacks in Australia.
I told them I was interested in the seminar but I'd like to hear the reason they are offended. The reason is because the Koran specifically teaches to have no drawings of Muhammad. Sounds like a pretty good reason to be offended. When I asked about freedom of the press, they responded with the question, "Shouldn't there be a line that the press doesn't cross?"
So I leave it up to you to make your own decision on that, but I found it quite interesting to talk to them. I don't believe I've every talked to a Muslim person before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

18 countries i visited 8% or s