Down Under Walkabout

The adventures of life and travel in Australia & New Zealand. And now Europe.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Down to Melbourne

I flew from Cairns to Melbourne yesterday. It is about a 3.5 hour flight. It was really cool as we took of from Cairns. As soon as we made it through the clouds you could look down and see the ocean dotted with islands everywhere, all of which were covered in green and surrounded by sandy beaches. After a bit of flying, everything below was red or brown and extremely flat. The landscape was like this for most of the way as we flew over the outback. Just as we began to get close to Melbourne, things started to turn green again. Melbourne is on the southern coast of the continent. When I got off the plane and walked through the airport, I noticed everyone was wearing coats, so when I walked outside I wasn't surpised to feel the cool weather. With the wind, it is pretty cold. This weather is a huge change from what I have been used to the last several months. I actually have to wear shoes instead of flip flops. Melbourne is really into footy (Australian Rules Football). It is kind of like rugby. I'm hoping to go see a game while I'm here.

1 Comments:

  • At 4/10/2006 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Chad,
    The pictures are awesome! I can imagine that the scenery is even more spectacular when you are there. It sounds like you have gone from one extreme to the other now that you are in Melbourne.
    Stay warm and take care.
    Love,
    Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

18 countries i visited 8% or s